Skip to content

Frequently asked questions

IT Support (Enrolled students)

​If you forgot your password or are experiencing difficulties logging into either Blackboard (our learning management system) or your Academic Record, please visit Forgotten password, which should rectify the problem.


Course admission

Do I need a degree to study a Governance Institute Postgraduate course?

No. You can meet our entry requirements through our non-academic entry route by providing evidence of general and professional qualifications or professional experience, including membership of professional organisations, which satisfies us that you have the capacity to undertake postgraduate study. Admission is initially on a conditional basis (see Admissions Policy). The academic entry route remains open for applicants who have a degree, including overseas degrees awarded by a recognised overseas university or higher education provider.

I'm in Australia on a temporary Visa. Can I undertake postgraduate study with you?

Yes. You must provide a Visa Entitlement Verification Online (VEVO) that clearly states your study entitlements whilst in Australia. Please note, Governance Institute of Australia is not on the Commonwealth Register of Institutions and Courses for Overseas Students (CRICOS) and as such cannot accept applicants on a Student Visa.

Do you have FEE-HELP?

No, we are not registered to provide FEE-HELP. We have a payment plan option whereby you can spread your student fees over three equal payments (see Student Fees Policy).

What is the difference between award, non-award and non-assessed study?

Awards study entails seeking admission to a course such as a Graduate Certificate or Graduate Diploma and completing the subjects in the required sequence. The core subjects that make up the Graduate Certificate must be completed before you can progress to the remaining subjects in your chosen pathway in the Graduate Diploma. You must elect which pathway you intend following at the point of admission. If you later decide the alternative pathway is better suited to your career path, due to a change of job for instance, you can request to change your pathway.

If you only intend studying up to a maximum of two subjects you can do so on a non-award basis, the subjects not contributing to a course. Subjects studied on a non-award basis can later be transferred to an award course, hence the entry requirements for this type of study are the same as those for award study.

If your aim is to simply gain or refresh your knowledge, and you have no interest in gaining academic credit for the subject, you can study subjects without having to undertake the assessments.

If I am enrolled in the Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance and Risk Management can I exit early with a qualification?

Yes. If you successfully complete the four core subjects of the Graduate Certificate you can choose to graduate with this qualification. You can later return to complete the requirements for the Graduate Diploma.


Advanced standing

What is the difference between advanced standing and exemption?

The term advanced standing describes the recognition of prior learning which may be relevant and may be applied to your course. This learning is credited to your course and reduces the number of subjects you need to complete the course. It is your responsibility to identify prior learning that demonstrates you have gained the knowledge, understanding and skills equivalent to the stated learning outcomes for the subject(s) for which you are seeking advanced standing. The maximum amount of advanced standing that can be awarded in any course is 2 subjects [20 credits]. Advanced standing should not be confused with the term exemption, no longer used by Governance Institute.

Can I seek advanced standing before I apply for admission?

Yes. Applications for provisional advanced standing can be made prior to admission and any advanced standing awarded remains valid for a period of one academic year. Offers not taken up within that period will be considered to be expired.

Are all subjects open to applications for advanced standing?

No. All students must study ‘Corporate Governance’, and any student undertaking the Qualifying Program for Chartered Secretary must study ‘Corporate Accountability: Meetings and Disclosure’ or ‘Public Sector Accountability and Transparency’.


Subject assessment

Will I get access to past question papers and answers for assignments and examinations?

We do not provide past assignment questions and answers. You will be given access to a single scenario-based sample examination question for your practice that reflects the style used in the examination itself. Following a period of practice, an outline answer will be provided for that sample examination question.

Do I have to sit an examination?

Most of our subjects require you to undertake an examination at the end of semester as part of the overall assessment for the subject. The examination typically is worth 50% of the overall mark, and students are required to meet a 40% threshold in the examination itself to pass the subject, regardless of the total aggregated mark. All examinations are held online during the examination week each semester and all exams are held in the AEST/AEDT time zone. Students located in other time zones must sit their exams at the equivalent time in their location.

If I am unavailable the week of the examination or experience illness on the day what are my options?

You are required to make yourself available during the examination week. The examination week is scheduled in advance of the start of semester and is published on our website – plan ahead. Extenuating circumstances may mean you are eligible for special consideration to sit a deferred examination later in the semester. If you are unwell on the day of your examination, or experience other extenuating circumstances, you will need to submit an application for special consideration (see Special Consideration Policy).

What happens if I fail my examination?

All examination papers receiving a mark of less than 50% are remarked. Providing you meet the 40% threshold in the examination and your total aggregated mark for the subject is not less than 50% you will pass the subject. If you fail the subject you will be required to re-enrol, usually in the following semester, and complete all the assessments items. Carryover is no longer an option.

You can submit an appeal against the final subject grade issued at the end of semester providing, providing certain groups are met (see Review of Grade Policy).