Member application notes
Membership applications are assessed through your educational qualifications and your professional experience.
What educational qualifications do I need to apply for membership?
Governance Institute qualifications
Qualifications provided by Governance Institute automatically qualify you for membership.
|Affiliate membership||Associate or Fellow Membership|
|Governance Institute Certificate||Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance|
|The Effective Directors Course||Graduate Certificate of Applied Risk Management|
|Completion of three postgraduate courses in governance or risk management||Graduate Diploma of Corporate Governance and Applied Risk Management|
Professional entry qualifications
External qualifications can be considered for membership under our Professional Entry Scheme (PES). The qualifications must be in a field of study related to governance or risk management to qualify you for membership. Common examples of these fields are:
- risk management
- economics or commerce.
|Affiliate membership||Associate or Fellow membership|
|Industry qualifications||Tertiary qualifications|
|Tertiary qualifications||Certified or chartered designations|
|Certified or chartered designations|
These are vocational qualifications obtained through TAFE or registered training organisations (RTOs). Common examples include:
These may be either at an undergraduate or postgraduate level. Where the qualification isn’t clearly in a governance or risk related fields (e.g. Bachelor of Arts) the major of the study should be related to governance or risk management (e.g. majoring in Law). Common examples include:
These are designations which require similar tertiary qualifications or equivalent study in governance or risk. Common examples include:
What counts towards governance and risk experience?
Governance and risk management experience can include (but are not limited to):
- non-executive directorships
- advisory board roles
- company secretary experience
- audit and compliance experience
- experience in risk assessment, management, mitigation or framework development
- IPO experience
- risk or governance related academic research, publications or lecturing
- academic experience in fields related to governance or risk such as; law business, finance, and economics
- experience as an office bearer or committee member
- advising on directors’ duties and appointment and succession of directors
- advising in relation to governance structures.
How much governance and risk management experience do I need to qualify for membership?
|Member type||Minimum experience for Governance Institute graduates||Minimum experience for PES applicants|
|Affiliate||No minimum requirements||No minimum requirements|
|Associate||6-7 years governance or risk management experience||6-9 years governance or risk management experience|
|Fellow||8+ years governance or risk management experience||10+ years governance or risk management experience|
How do I demonstrate governance and risk experience?
Governance and risk experience can be demonstrated by uploading your resume or through your LinkedIn profile.
- Concurrently held roles only count towards a single time period
- The job titles you hold don’t have to be specific to governance and risk as long as your responsibilities or achievements involve governance or risk
- You are able to be assessed on non-workplace related experience
When uploading your CV or LinkedIn ensure that you explicitly list your governance and risk responsibilities under the relevant job title, and the time period, similar to the example below.
Risk Manager (Jan 2010 – Jan 2012)
- Contribute to the identification and management of risks
- Developed risk assessment framework
Director, Administration and Finance (Feb 2012 – Jan 2017)
- Contract management including Procurement Governance
- Drive the financial planning of the company by analysing its performance and risks
- Ensure adherence to financial laws and guidelines
- Audit methodology leader
Senior Consultant (Feb 2017 – current)
- Provided advice on corporate restructures
- Providing advice on director appointments, resignations and responsibilities
- Provided specialist advice to the Legal Committee in relation to risk and governance management
- Governance framework gap analysis
Board and committee roles
- Non Executive Director, Generic Company (Jan 2015 – current)
- Advisory Board Member, Generic Company (Feb 2014 – Nov 2016)
- Committee Chair, Audit and Risk (Feb 2018 – current)