Course completion and graduation
- What happens when I finish my course?
- How am I advised of my course completion?
- What do I receive?
- Is there a graduation ceremony?
- How do I become a member of Governance Institute Australia?
- How do I acquire Chartered Status and join the Chartered Governance Institute?
- What are the post nominals upon completion?
At the end of each semester (by end of July and December), the Education Committee ratifies the semester’s results, and thereafter identifies the students who are eligible for course completion for that semester.
- Semester 1 graduates will be advised by the end of the first week of August of their course completion status; and
- Semester 2 graduates will be advised by the third week of January in the following year of their course completion status (note Governance Institute closes until the second week of January over Christmas and New year, unless otherwise advised)
- Students approved for completion will be formally advised via their nominated email account that they have met requirements for course completion at the above timelines; and that they have been graduated in absentia.
- After receiving the email notification:
- Students will be posted by regular post 1x copy of their testamur and 1x copy of their academic transcript to their nominated postal address.
- Semester 1 graduates should receive this by the end of August and Semester 2 graduates by early February of the following year.
- From semester 1, 2022, Governance Institute will also upload students’ testamurs and academic transcripts onto the My eQuals database.
As our postgraduate courses are offered across all Australian States and Territories, and due to the fluctuating and different covid-19 pandemic rules between States and Territories, Governance Institute currently does not hold formal, face-to-face graduation ceremonies. Hence all students who complete their postgraduate course are graduated in absentia.
Graduates of Governance Institute’s postgraduate courses can apply for membership of Governance Institute of Australia.
- Graduate Certificate graduates meet requirements for the Affiliated Membership
- Graduate Diploma graduates meet requirements for the Associate Membership
On completion of our Graduate Diploma, if you're a Governance Institute member, you can also apply for membership with the Chartered Governance Institute, our international partner (formerly known as ICSA).
Associate or Fellow membership with the Chartered Governance Institute provides you with the Chartered Secretary or Chartered Governance Professional designation.
Post nominals are letters placed after a person's name to indicate education qualifications, title of office, and honours. Post-nominals for our postgraduate courses are bolded below:
- Graduate Certificate of Applied Corporate Governance and Risk Management: GradCertACGRM.
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance and Risk Management: GradDipACGRM.
- Graduate Certificate of Applied Risk Management: GradCertARM.
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Risk Management and Corporate Governance: GradDipARMCG.
- Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance: GradDipACG.