Effective Director Course
Tuesday, 20 August 2019 to Thursday, 22 August 2019
9:00am to 4:45pm
Governance Institute of Australia
5 Hunter Street
SYDNEY NSW 2000
Cost (Inc GST)
Exploring the role of the company director and the board’s vital contribution towards organisational culture and sustainable governance, this course draws on theory, practice, and the collective knowledge of the participants to simulate the boardroom experience.
- What issues and challenges are faced by a director on a board?
- How can you best prepare for and understand directorship in the current landscape, with the lens firmly on director capability?
Is this course right for you?
This course is for:
- aspiring or newly appointed directors
- executives seeking director transition pathways
- directors wanting to refine their skills
- those needing to better understand the role and responsibilities of a director.
Julie Garland McLellan
Julie is an experienced board director with current directorships, an international expert on corporate governance, and a corporate governance advisor to mid and small-cap boards. Julie uses her real-life experience and knowledge of corporate governance to show boards with limited resources how to be more effective through practical governance innovation and know-how. She is the author of six books that show how directors can respond to real-life situations with effective leadership.
Julie has over 20 years’ experience presenting director education and has qualifications from The Australian Institute of Company Directors, FINSIA, Wharton School of Business, The University of California Irving, etc. She has an Executive MBA from I E Business School, Madrid and an honours degree in engineering from City University, London.
David began his career as a Headhunter / Executive Search Consultant in London and has been putting people on boards for 15 years. His first assignment was the appointment of David Higgin as CEO of the Olympic Delivery Authority (ODA) and the board appointments of the entire ODA board. His second assignment was for the entire board and Chair of the Equality and Human Rights Commission. David left recruitment to begin working at the Australian Institute of Company Directors running their Directorship Opportunities service. During that time he recognised that the experience he obtained over the previous decade was unique, and could be utilised on behalf of individuals (rather than companies) to help them gain board appointments. Board Direction was born with the explicit intention of helping put people on boards.
Richard is a corporate governance practitioner with board and senior executive level experience with public, private and not for profit entities.
Dates of course modules:
- Module 1: High Performing Boards — 21 August, 9am to 5pm
- Module 2: Director dynamics — 22 August, 9am to 4:30pm, plus board dinner — 5pm to 6:30pm
- Module 3:Board meeting simulation — 23 August, 9am to 12pm
- Module 4: Acquiring a non-executive director role — 23 August, 12:45pm to 4:45pm
Join and save
Members of Governance Institute receive a discount of up to $400 — find out if you are eligible.