Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance
Why Governance Institute?
Governance Institute's courses are not for everyone. Other governance courses are less demanding, less focused and can be completed in less time and with less effort.
Those who take the Governance Institute challenge will be rewarded with a detailed understanding of governance. Graduate Diploma students will gain in-depth skills that will command respect throughout the organisation — from the coalface, right through the executive ranks and in the boardroom.
Governance Institute is for you if you aspire to be an expert, not a dabbler; a professional, not an amateur.
That's the Governance Institute difference.
“Any professional who wants to demonstrate their commitment to capable governance and administration, and establish a solid foundation for their career, should consider the Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance.”
Jane McAloon FGIA, Group Company Secretary, BHP Billiton
The Graduate Diploma of Applied Corporate Governance is an ideal course for any professional aspiring to a senior career in governance and risk management or, for that matter, any senior executive, and/or board director position.
Key benefits to you and your organisation include:
- a fully accredited and internationally recognised postgraduate qualification with the rigour afforded by accreditation with the national regulatory and quality agency for higher education
- practical knowledge and skills that can be readily applied in your workplace to give you a competitive personal and career edge
- an explicit demonstration of your expertise in, and commitment to, governance best practice
- the ability to foster excellence in governance, corporate conduct and administration as a proactive member of the senior executive team
- an in-depth understanding of how to meet compliance requirements, including the Corporations Act, ASX Listing Rules and key governance guidelines
- the expertise to become a highly regarded adviser to management and the board, or to be a valued board member
- the opportunity to network with other governance professionals and senior managers
- the gateway to membership of Governance Institute and access to our international affiliates.
Graduate Diploma subjects
Individual subjects – may be taken with no prior qualifications as a non-award student
Professional accreditation – Continuous professional development (CPD) hours accrue for various membership associations, including Governance Institute, where CPD is compulsory for all Member categories (see CPD/MCLE rules for your relevant association(s)). Advanced standing may be sought for MBAs and other postgraduate qualifications.
Flexibility of study options – As a student of the Graduate Diploma you will have maximum flexibility to arrange your study around your career and lifestyle commitments, by selecting from our tutorial and/or distance study modes; depending on your needs, other work and life commitments and your availability.
To view the semester timetable, please go to the Key dates & fees.
Tutorial mode: Tutorial classes focus on the practical application of the subject content. They are held at convenient CBD locations:
- one evening a week over a 12-week semester in Sydney, Melbourne, Brisbane and Perth
- for some subjects, on several Saturdays spread over the semester.
Not all subjects are available in tutorial mode in all state capitals in every semester.
Governance Institute reserves the right to cancel or vary the provision of classes.
Distance mode: All subjects are available by distance mode. Enhanced study notes and the online classroom provide necessary learning support in lieu of face-to-face teaching. While you are encouraged to start at normal semester times, this mode allows you the flexibility to start your studies at other times, but you should note the assessment dates still apply.
Learning with the experts – Governance Institute is privileged to have some of Australia’s leading business and law academics and corporate executives as course directors, guest presenters and subject authors. Course directors are handpicked to ensure that students are exposed to optimum levels of technical knowledge, professional experience and communication skills. A full list is available in the Graduate Diploma handbook.
In addition, we invite guest presenters with strong industry involvement and acknowledged expertise to reinforce the applied focus for which our Graduate Diploma is well known.